Thursday, January 28, 2010

Another Week in Rome

Well, the second week of classes are now complete, with the exception of the mini trip to the Treve Fountain for some print viewing. Some miscellaneous stuff to start off with: I got my Metro pass for the month of February, which will come in handy when meeting on location for Art History, Rome Sketchbook and Digital Imaging. Laundry was a pain because everyone's just starting to realize that they no longer have clean clothes, which was the indirect result of me finishing the last of the non-school related books I brought to read. But that's alright, since I now fill my free time with watching the D-Town podcast- a podcast by he same guys who do PhotoshopUser TV, but for Nikon camera users. It's given me a lot of good tips for litle-known settings on my D90, and a pretty good idea about what lenses and flashes are out there, should I ever want to get something like that.

So the week in review:
Monday wasn't too eventful. I spent most of the day at school working on my linoleum print, and of curse Italian class where we learned that the Italian word for gypsy is in fact "zingaro".
In a very rainy Rome Sketchbook on Tuesday, we were drawing inside a church courtyard, and then in St. Augustino's, working in conte and focusing primarily on perspective. fortunately my school schedule Tuesdaykeeps me inside the dry Temple Rome building until 9 PM, when the rain had stopped. On the way home, me and a few fellow classmates I know from Tyler stopped off at the 24 HR bakery, where I got a fresh panino (sandwich) and un canolo (you're probably more familiar with the plural "canoli".)
Wednesday started off with a nice trip to one of he first churches erected in thonor of Mary as the mother of God, and St. Cicilia's Church, the final resting place fo the incorrupt (and out-of-view) St. Cicilia. It also had some well preserved frescos by Cavalini. This brings us to Thursday, where in Digital Imaging, we went to the digital camera shop, and the Vatican for some depth of field and lighting shots. I also ad my first Italian test/quiz on some basic question phrases, definite / indefinite articles, and the verbs to be and to have.
With the exception of a tiny bit of a sore throat and a stuffy nose today, this trip has been going quite well. I even had time to draw the picture at the bottom. It's a study of a comic style for a personal graphic novel work-in-progress that I will reveal more as I get more done. But for now you have that, and the link to the photos from this week that include shots from today's digital imaging class. At some point I'll get around to posting artwork from printmaking and rome sketchbook.
Photo Link

No comments:

Post a Comment