Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Pope Made Me Late for Mass

It's true. Because he adresses crowds of people at 12 noon on Sundays, I had to wait in a long line to pass through the security checkpoint to get into the Basillica to get to 12:15 Mass. I didn't have my camera on me, but he was awfully small-looking from his window.

In other news, I succeeded in making the best home-made dinner for myself as of yet in Rome. It started with some Romanesco Broccoli, which tastes like a cross between cauliflower and broccoli, and looks like a 3D Sierpinski Triangle. Then I had pan seared steak, fresh from the local open-air market. Of course, i had to sear it in olive oil, because that's really the only option I had. And garlic. After the pan was cleared from the steak, I put on my home fries (also fried in olive oil), which came out very crispy and very good. And while that would've been plenty, I ended the meal with nutella covered strawberries, also fresh from the market. This culinary contraption only further supports the research that nutella can make any dessert 100x better.

So, I'll go ahead and say that nutella will definitely be on my list of "Things I Miss from Rome". That and walking a good 5 minutes in the Basillica to get to the front portion that's celebrating Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment